Explore, Learn, and Play Together!
At The Durham Public Library, we believe in the magic of early learning and the joy of discovery. Our dedicated space for preschoolers and their caregivers is designed to spark imagination, foster a love for reading, and create moments of shared exploration. Parents and caregivers are the first teachers children have. Early literacy is everything a child knows about reading before they read. At the library, we wish to promote excellent resources for early literacy and inspire a lifelong love of learning.
Why Visit With Your Little Ones?
Storytimes are crafted to captivate young minds nurture a lifelong love for books and help caregivers connect with other caregivers and families who share the journey of early childhood. Creating life-long friendships.
Weekly storytimes are offered for children from birth to 5 years and special programs are offered periodically. Check our calendar for a current list of events.
Continue the adventure from home with the resources below
This site, prepared by WETA public television, presents strategies, activities, and lessons designed to help young children learn to read.
Get your child ready to read! Watch short videos modeling songs, rhymes, and fingerplays. Each video includes helpful early literacy tips. Sorted by age groups (babies, toddlers, and preschoolers)
Born Learning is a public engagement campaign that helps parents, grandparents and caregivers explore ways to turn everyday moments into fun learning opportunities. Web content is available in English and in Spanish.
As part of the Every Child Ready to Read program, the library has developed
circulating “literacy kits” that support early literacy practices. Each kit contains:
- 2 board books
- 5 picture books
- a music CD
- an educational DVD or toy
- an idea packet of pre-reading activities that parents and children can do together
Kits circulate for 3 weeks; there is a $1.00 per day fine for late returns.
Educational Play Areas
Engage in activities that stimulate creativity, enhance motor skills, and promote early literacy in a fun and welcoming environment in our small play area upstairs. It features a rotating dramatic play station in addition to classics like a train table and Duplos.
Special Events and Workshops
Check out our upcoming special events and workshops tailored for preschoolers (and patrons of all ages). From arts and crafts to music and movement, there’s always something delightful happening at the Durham Public Library
Unlock the Power of Learning Together!
At the Durham Public Library, we’re dedicated to making homework time an adventure and learning an exciting journey for school-aged children. Our library is your go-to destination for homework help, math resources, and a world of knowledge waiting to be explored.
📚 Homework Help Hub
Struggling with assignments? Our Homework Help Hub is full of online resources to assist. with tricky math problems to complex science concepts. Let’s turn homework hurdles into victories!
Project assistance tailored for young scholars. Navigate through age-appropriate articles, interactive games, and multimedia resources designed to kindle curiosity and inspire budding minds. Remember to check what resources your child’s school offers as well.
- EBSCO LearningExpress Library (https://www.learningexpresshub.com)
- An online platform of free ( no card required) educational resources designed to empower learners of all ages. Whether a student looking to ace exams, an adult seeking career advancement, or anyone in between, LearningExpress Library offers interactive tutorials, practice tests, and skill-building exercises.
- researchITCT (https://researchitct.org/classicpublic/):
- There are several useful databases for students offered free from the state of Connecticut via EBSCO.
- DK Learning (https://learning.dk.com/us):
- the perfect homework companion. Immerse yourself in clear, reliable, and highly visual content that spans all curriculum subjects and beyond. From quizzes to captivating videos and animations, our platform is designed to engage and fascinate learners of all ages. Explore with confidence, knowing that new content is consistently added to keep the journey of discovery ever-evolving.
Interactive games, engaging puzzles, and expertly curated resources make learning math a blast.
- Khan Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/):
- Khan Academy provides a wide range of lessons on various math topics, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus. The platform is user-friendly and includes instructional videos, practice exercises, and progress tracking.
- IXL Math (https://www.ixl.com/math/):
- IXL offers a comprehensive K-12 math curriculum with interactive questions. It covers a variety of topics and provides immediate feedback to help students understand and master concepts.
- Coolmath (https://www.coolmath.com/):
- Coolmath is designed to make math enjoyable for kids. It includes games, puzzles, and lessons on various math topics. It’s a fun and engaging way for children to practice math skills.
- Prodigy (https://www.prodigygame.com/):
- Prodigy is a game-based learning platform that adapts to the individual needs of students. It covers math topics for grades 1 to 8 and provides a personalized learning experience.
- AAA Math (http://www.aaamath.com/):
- AAA Math offers interactive arithmetic lessons and practice for various grade levels. It covers topics such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Hooda Math (https://www.hoodamath.com/):
- Hooda Math offers a variety of free online math games that cover different concepts. The games are designed to be educational and entertaining.
Explore Beyond the Textbook
Dive into our extensive collection of educational materials that go beyond the classroom. Fascinating books to spark curiosity and enhance every subject. Here are some Reading resources to try at home.
- Storyline Online (https://www.storylineonline.net/):
- Storyline Online features videos of well-known actors reading children’s books along with animated illustrations. It’s a fantastic resource for enhancing listening and comprehension skills.
- ReadWorks (https://www.readworks.org/):
- ReadWorks provides a vast collection of reading comprehension passages and questions. It’s a valuable resource for improving reading comprehension skills across various grade levels.
Parent and Caregiver Support
We understand that supporting your child’s education is a team effort. Explore our caregiver resources and connect with other parents navigating the academic journey. We have a special collection of parent books in the children’s area.
Your Journey to Success Begins Here!
📚 Library Card Benefits
Sign up for a library card to unlock a treasure trove of educational resources. Always free for residents, and the possibilities for academic success are endless!
Upcoming Events and Workshops
Check out our calendar for upcoming events, workshops, and study sessions. We’re here to support your child’s learning journey every step of the way.
Transparent Language- with KidSpeak
We are excited to announce that we now offer Transparent Language Online free to all Durham Public Library card holders. Whether you’re starting at the very beginning with a new alphabet or you’re an intermediate learner looking to enhance your vocabulary and grammar knowledge, Transparent Language Online can help. Available for learning 110+ languages, plus English (ESL) materials for native speakers of 30+ languages, the program has something for everyone. This resource is funded by PALS: The Friends of the Durham Public Library.
Be sure to look for Kidspeak. With KidSpeak young learners explore a new language with their cartoon “friend” and his or her pet. They’ll broaden their horizons as they work their way through fun and engaging activities with KidSpeak. This feature is available for Chinese, German, French, Spanish and Italian.
Search for child care near you with :
- Connecticut 2-1-1 Child Care: A free and confidential statewide service that helps match the requests of parents and caregivers with child care providers and programs.