The Durham Public Library seeks an enthusiastic and reliable circulation assistant to join our team. This is a part-time position performing a variety of circulation and customer service functions. Excellent customer service skills, ability to communicate effectively with patrons and staff, and attention to detail required.
Key responsibilities include:
- Performing circulation routines using the Library’s automated system, including issuing and renewing library cards; checking library materials in and out; collecting fines; placing holds and contacting patrons, answering phones and responding to queries.
- Advising patrons about library materials and services.
- Assisting patrons with computers and other technology.
Qualifications desired include:
- High school graduation required; Associates degree preferred.
- Circulation and/or customer service experience in a public library.
- Experience with computers and automated library systems. Experience with Sierra preferred.
- Strong commitment to warm and welcoming public service required.
This is a part-time (10 hours per week) non-union position with no benefits. The salary is $18.50/hour and the regular schedule includes Monday and Tuesday evenings and Wednesday mornings. Successful candidates will be subject to the Town of Durham background screening process, and a pre-employment drug screen. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Christine Michaud, Library Director, at email@example.com. Deadline for submission is 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 10.