The Durham Public Library seeks an enthusiastic and reliable circulation assistant to join our team. This is a part-time position performing a variety of circulation, materials processing, and customer service functions. Excellent customer service skills, ability to communicate effectively with patrons and staff, and attention to detail required.
Key responsibilities include:
- 1. Performing circulation routines using the Library’s automated system, including issuing and renewing library cards; checking library materials in and out; collecting fines; placing holds and contacting patrons, answering phones and responding to queries.
- 2. Advising patrons about library materials and services.
- 3. Assisting patrons with computers and other technology.
Qualifications desired include:
- 1. High school graduation required; Associates or B.A. degree preferred.
- 2. Circulation and/or library technical experience in a public library.
- 3. Experience with computers and automated library systems. Experience with Sierra preferred.
- 4. Strong commitment to warm and welcoming public service required.
This is a part-time (17 hours per week) non-union position with no benefits. The salary is $18.50/hour and the schedule includes two evenings per week and alternating Fridays and Saturdays. Successful candidates will be subject to the Town of Durham background screening process, and a pre-employment drug screen. To apply, please complete the Town of Durham Employment Application https://www.townofdurhamct.org/Employment. Send the completed application with a cover letter to Christine Michaud, Library Director, at email@example.com. Deadline for submission is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 24.